Saturday, May 22, 2010

I am so thankful that I found this supportive community! You guys are the wind beneath my wings and I ain't a lightweight yet so the burden is great helping me fly. I saw a question weeks ago on BYOC... It was "What was the last straw that finally made you decide to get the lapband?" I can't say that it was one thing or another...just too many things to be honest. I love to travel and was finally confronted by an overzealous airline employee who asked me if I bought 2 seats... that was a big embarrassing moment! I asked myself why was it embarrassing? I mean, You're fat and everyone can see that so the crowd overhearing her ask you if you bought 2 seats shouldn't make you embarrassed... but it did. I have a huge fear every time I fly and that fear finally came to light! Anyway, I love to eat out at restaurants and I love booths, when they became uncomfortable for me to sit in, I didn't wait to start sitting elsewhere... so i sat uncomfortable until it was too uncomfortable to bear. I'm back in booths already least than 2 months after my surgery. And.... I started feeling uncomfortable eating "treats" in front of others... cake, cookies, candy, etc made me want to eat in secret... once that started coming on I knew I had to do something about my weight. I couldn't dress cute anymore... I could buy cute things but they didn't look cute on me... like they did on the hanger. I couldn't fit in movie theater, stadium, or theatre seats so I always came in my wheelchair which made me even less active and made me gain more weight... Vicious cycle. Let me stop rambling.... I could go on forever telling you all that my weight has limited me from doing or seeing. The Straw that broke the camel's back was me... I broke the camel's back, literally. I am too heavy to ride a camel when we go to Egypt or ride a horse on the beach in Hawaii... The adventureous life I picture for myself has me still jiggly but thinner.... much thinner. And I am on my way!

11 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm so sorry you have struggled so much. Thank God for the band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are on your way!!! This a great and moving post. It's so helpful to remind yourself of how far you've come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you made the decision that you did. I elt the same way when I went to hawaii and couldn't go horseback riding because I was over the 225 weight limit. I didn't want to be limited in my life any longer. I'm happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! I love the name of your blog. Like you I'm tired of watching life from the sidelines. I want to participate and have lots to make up for! Off to read the rest of your blog.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Bandland! Your blog is awesome! I am now a follower and hope you will follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an amazing inspiration, Maria. We have tons in common and being in Miami (just 3 hours south)and a fellow-Disney geek, I hope we'll have much time to spend supporting each other. Much luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maria, I was banded one day after you. I've been away from my blogger family for almost 2 weeks due to a family tragedy but I am back now and look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you through Steph. Can't wait to follow your journey! These blogs are addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure are on your way...and about one month ahead of my journey. I was banded on April 26th and will enjoy following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too found you through Steph and I will be Following your journey! I will read your blog tonight so I will be caught up.

    Welcome to the Sisterhood/Brotherhood of the Bandster's!!

    Debi: http://hawaiiboundbandster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This entry brought tears to me eyes. This community truly is a godsend.

    ReplyDelete